New Year 2021: Turning Over a New Leaf

We’ve mastered our daily Zoom rituals, we’ve revamped our approach to resolutions and we’ve made masks a permanent fixture on our faces. Now that we’ve decided to turn over a new leaf, nothing can stop us. We’ve gone from anxiously anticipating a change in presidential administration to witnessing a successful transition of power and rapid policy change. Instead of absolute panic, the class of 2021 has a sense of what to expect graduating amid a pandemic. With the vaccine rollout in motion, perhaps this will be the year UC Berkeley’s freshmen finally get to meet on campus again. 

While many of the cracks the COVID-19 crisis laid bare have yet to be addressed, we sense something better on the horizon, whether that’s a booming revival of the nightlife of the Roaring ’20s or simply a pleasant return to the campus libraries. If 2020 taught us anything, it’s that whether you’re an optimist or pessimist, you must always expect the unexpected.

‘A jam-packed catalogue’: 8 anticipated films that were pushed from 2020

Collage of eight mentioned moviesHere’s a guide to some of the most exciting 2020 movies that are finally coming out in 2021 after being delayed due to the pandemic.

— Neil Haeems

Having deja vu? 3 ways the 2020s are living up to the 1920s

1920's photos compared with modern day photos

If we’re using the past to see what our future holds, it’s forecasting a period of sex-crazedness, partying and drinking once our world returns to normal.

— Annie Lin

A gateway of uncertainty

Jordan HarrisIn a way, I’m stuck, afraid of all the bittersweet decisions I could possibly make — decisions that can sour with regret as fast as the spread of a virus.

— Jordan Harris

5 New Year’s Zoom-olutions to help you thrive academically

Photo of a notebook and a laptop with zoom openWhile you may have gotten comfortable attending lectures from your bed, consider these New Year’s Zoom-olutions to maximize your virtual semester.

— Allie Coyne

Masks and the essential worker smile

Photo of Chelsea LeungIn the face of all the inequities exacerbated by the pandemic, masks have provided front-line workers a temporary reprieve from constantly hiding all emotions but the expected smile.

— Chelsea Leung

Capitol riots: A broader symbol of ethno-nationalism across the globe

Photo of U.S. Capitol Riots

While some Republicans are preaching unity right now and urging us to move past the Jan. 6 riots, we cannot truly have unity without accountability.

— Amrita Bhasin

New year, new administration: 4 ways Biden administration can improve US

Photo of Joe Biden

The arrival of President Joe Biden’s administration is not a magical solution to all our problems, but it is the first step. Now, we all have to keep the government accountable for the effectiveness of its policy decisions.

— Karina Nguyen

Seeking a new normal: After Donald Trump’s presidency, US needs to reform democracy

Photo of Robert ReichThe Biden administration must make its commitment to democracy clear and exemplify the characteristics a healthy democracy relies on in its own actions.

— Defne Karabatur

Chasing community, from Christians to communists

In our rapidly changing world, we’ve all found things to cling to. For some, religion provides a moral compass and an encouraging community. For others, they find community in the fight for something greater than themselves.

— Luke Stiles

Are we even doing resolutions anymore? Making the most of New Year’s resolutions

Photo of a journal on a deskInstead of relying on external factors to help you accomplish resolutions, find a small change in action that you think will make your life better.

— Defne Karabatur

The most joyous noise

When we return to campus, I intend to make the most of every class I take, regardless of how many times I have to read Adam Smith’s “The Wealth of Nations.”

— Mia Horne

A letter to my future self

Photo of Karina NguyenIf you’re lucky enough to contribute to change in the world, never take no for an answer and never forget your roots or those who helped you along the way.

— Karina Nguyen

Contact Ruby Sutton at 

JANUARY 28, 2021