COVID-19 is still around, so should RSF testing

MAY 02, 2022

On April 22, 2022, you reported on UC Berkeley’s decision to close the RSF testing facility in the article titled “UC Berkeley to close RSF testing facility, sunset COVID-19 measures”. This is timely considering COVID-19 restrictions are being lifted across the country despite the recent tick in active cases.

As an undergraduate student studying public health at UC Berkeley, I do not support the closure of the only testing facility located on campus. COVID-19 is still circulating, and the university needs to acknowledge the threat of a potential new variant.

Rather than closing the site, the university should move toward reducing the hours of operation and maintaining the RSF testing site. The RSF is a quick and easy way for students to get tested in between classes. It is a shame that students will have a harder time accessing COVID tests in the future months to come. This premature decision to close the RSF testing site is a great disservice to the UC Berkeley community and the greater community’s overall health.

Daniel Vasquez is a senior at UC Berkeley. Contact the opinion desk at [email protected] or follow us on Twitter

MAY 02, 2022