BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 17, 2023

Tent set on fire by alleged arsonist in People's Park

DANIEL KIM | FILE

A fire broke out in People's Park on Tuesday morning after a tent and its surrounding area were set aflame, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

|

Editor in Chief

MAY 24, 2022

A fire broke out in People’s Park on Tuesday morning after a tent and its surrounding area were set aflame, as first reported by Berkeleyside.

According to the Berkeley Fire Department, or BFD, responders were informed of the fire at 6:56 a.m., after which the first engine arrived on scene at 7:00 a.m. UCPD Sgt. Jake Westlie said an alleged arsonist lit an occupied tent on fire and struck the occupant on the head with a golf club before fleeing the scene.

A BFD report noted the victim was transported in an ambulance to Highland Hospital with significant injuries.

BFD added that upon arrival, the tent was fully engulfed by flames, along with the surrounding grass. As of press time, the fire has been extinguished.

Westlie added that UCPD has not yet identified any suspects and requested that anyone with information notify UCPD.

Kavya Gupta is a deputy news editor. Contact her at [email protected], and follow her on Twitter at @kavyaguptta.

MAY 24, 2022