BERKELEY'S NEWS • DECEMBER 12, 2023

Golden Gate Fields horse racetrack to close following 2023 season

WILLIAM YAU | STAFF

JULY 17, 2023

Berkeley’s historic Golden Gate Fields horse racetrack will be closing at the end of the 2023 racing season. The closure will leave the 140 acre site empty, according to a statement by Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín.

The Stronach Group, which runs the racetrack, will focus on “consolidating, invigorating and innovating” their horse racing by relocating Berkeley’s horses and employees to the company’s Southern California venues, according to a Sunday statement. 

“We recognize that the decision will have profound effects on our valued employees as well as the owners, trainers, jockeys and stable personnel at Golden Gate Fields,” said Belinda Stronach, CEO and president of The Stronach Group, in the same statement. “The Stronach Group is committed to honoring labor obligations and developing a meaningful transition plan.”

The racetrack, which was established in 1941, sits between the Berkeley Marina and the Albany Bulb, right on the border of the two cities. It has additionally made appearances in Jack Kerouac’s book “On the Road” and other popular media. 

Arreguín said in his statement that the closure presents “exciting opportunities,” and that he will work with stakeholders and the city of Albany to repurpose the location.

“While it is too early to speculate what will replace Golden Gate Fields, priority right now must be on ensuring that workers are made whole and supported and that the horses are given proper care and relocation during the closure,” Arreguín’s statement reads. 

This closure comes after the racetrack’s eighth horse death of the year and cries of animal cruelty. A petition from animal rights group Direct Action Everywhere demanding Berkeley and Albany shut down Golden Gate Fields garnered more than 39,000 signatures. In 2020, there was also an outbreak of COVID-19 at the racetrack, and over 200 people living and working there tested positive for the virus. 

The news also comes after a recent ordinance proposed by City Councilmember Kate Harrison to add protections for animals used for racing, sport, entertainment or profit in the Berkeley municipal code. The ordinance would set stipulations on how long horses can be confined in stables and require a half acre of pasture for a horse to freely roam.

Contact Clara Brownstein at 

JULY 17, 2023