Governor Newsom signs Assembly Bill 1307

GAGE SKIDMORE | CREATIVE COMMONS

|

Senior Staff

SEPTEMBER 07, 2023

California Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 1307, or AB 1307, on Thursday, previously passed unanimously in the state senate and assembly.

Under the new measure, residential noise is eliminated as a “significant environmental effect” under the California Environmental Quality Act, and public universities may be exempt from considering alternative sites for housing projects when certain requirements are met.

“California will not allow NIMBYism to take hold, blocking critically needed housing for years and even decades,” Newsom said in the press release. “I thank Assemblymember Wicks and all the legislative leaders for taking on the status quo and clearing the way for our state to build more affordable housing.”

Earlier this year, Newsom urged the California Supreme Court to overturn its decision allowing the use of CEQA to block student housing construction on campus, according to the press release, and issued a statement in support of the People’s Park construction project.

Assemblymember Buffy Wicks, the author of AB 1307, noted in the press release that the bill “reestablishes over 50 years of CEQA precedent” and will help campus move forward with housing construction goals.

“Just as importantly, AB 1307 provides more certainty for housing projects across the state, instead of more red tape and higher construction costs,” Wicks said in the press release.

Contact Chanyoung Chung at 

SEPTEMBER 07, 2023