Bears in search of 2 more conference wins against ASU, Arizona

SUMMER CHOI | STAFF

OCTOBER 27, 2023

The Bears prepare to face the Sun Devils this Friday for the second time this season. This match marks the halfway point of conference play.

The blue and gold currently hold a 3-7 conference record and a 14-7 overall record — a meaningful difference from the winless conference record that defined the Cal volleyball program last season. 

Having already taken down Arizona, Oregon State and USC, the once-overlooked Bears have proven themselves as a force to be reckoned with. 

This weekend, Cal will travel to Tempe, Arizona, where it will attempt to notch another conference win against Arizona State.

The Oct. 1 matchup between these two programs was a close battle highlighted by back-and-forth blows, blocks and digs. ASU took the match only by one set, 2-3

On the ASU side, Marta Levinska, the 6’2” opposite hitter, leads the team with 327 kills and is sure to put the Cal defense to the test. She is undoubtedly a player to watch this match. 

Another player to watch on the Sun Devils’ side is Mary Shroll, the 5’8” libero, who leads the team with 277 digs. Even though she plays an outstanding libero position, she will be challenged by Cal’s Maggie Li as she was the first time around. 

The 6’3” freshman currently leads the team this season in kills — dealing 320 controlled and powerful hits. 

With Levinska and Shroll leading the attack, ASU will not be an easy match for the Bears. Having lost to the Sun Devils earlier this season, the blue and gold are ready for a rematch.

On Sunday, Cal is set to make its way to Tucson to face Arizona in McKale Center.

The Bears already bested the Wildcats earlier this season, which begs the question if they can do it again. 

Li was able to record 21 kills for Cal against this Arizona program — also nabbing two aces in the process

The match was defined by tremendous efforts from both sides, but in the end, Cal’s skill and technique were unmatched as they took the 3-1 victory

This weekend’s matches should be a spectacle worth watching. Will the Bears improve to 16-7 by adding two more wins or will they melt under the Arizona heat?

Contact Jose Rivera at 

OCTOBER 27, 2023