Cal seeks to upset expectations in next Pac-12 rematch

JUN OH | STAFF

NOVEMBER 01, 2023

Coming out of a weekend similar to its last time around in Arizona, Cal volleyball again lost to Arizona State but beat Arizona. The Bears are looking to break some trends in their next Pac-12 rematch that will take place at Haas Pavilion.

Cal will play Washington on Friday at 7 p.m. and No. 6 Washington State on Sunday at noon.

Although the Bears repeated outcomes in their Pac-12 rematches in Arizona, this time around could be very different for a number of reasons.

First of all, both Washington and Washington State just lost to Oregon Statea team that Cal just had a gritty victory over. Second of all, the Bears completed their sweep of Arizona this season, the first since the 2019 season. 

“There’s definitely some plays we wish we could get back from the Washington game especially, so it’s nice to play them again to get another chance to do better this time, hopefully, get another win,” said junior setter Annalea Maeder, who reached eighth in program history for sets. “Washington State is an amazing team. It’s always amazing to play top 10 teams, so we’re definitely really excited about that.”

However, the path to vengeful victory won’t be so easy. 

Because of their recent losses, both the Huskies and the Cougars will be hungry for a chance at redemption against the blue and gold. And the last time these teams met, Cal flopped in a fundamental category: serve receiving. 

While Washington State tallied eight total aces in a 4-0 service ratio against the Bears, Washington doubled Cal’s ace count of four to 14 errors with nine aces of its own

The Bears’ chance at redemption will be decided at the service line and in their defensive grit. 

“To overpower their serve and pass, something that we need to do a better job of is playing smarter with it. Both Washington and Washington State have great blocks and a great defense system in place, so what we need to do is make them run for the ball, make them play instead of going for the kill on every ball and missing half of them,” Maeder said.

In terms of Washington State, fifth-year outside hitter Pia Timmer is certainly an offensive force of nature, leading the Cougars’ last game with her season-high of 21 kills and four block assists.

Washington State’s setter, senior Argentina Ung, is one of the most active in the Pac-12, evident from her six kills, 11 digs and five block assists, along with 47 assists. Furthermore, the Cougars just tallied an impressive 16 blocks as a team, along with an 8-1 edge in service aces.

As for Washington, its usual offensive strength was recently derailed by the loss against No. 9 Oregon, who hit .442 to the Huskies’ .149.

Cal will still need to watch out for junior outside hitter Madi Endsley, who led with eight kills, and sophomore outside hitter Audra Wilmes, who followed with seven kills.

The Bears will have to step up their defensive tactics and serve-receive game from last time around. Senior libero Tara DeSa will certainly help out in this area, along with sophomore middle blocker Sophie Scott, who has been leading the Bears’ recent blocking surge — specifically with six blocks in the last match.

However, both Washington teams are known for their defensive strength, too. As a shining example, Washington State’s fifth-year DS/liberos Karly Basham and Julia Norville just combined for 17 digs with a perfect reception percentage.

It will be up to Cal’s offense to switch things up at the net and create holes where these defensive pinpoints can’t reach. 

“We’re trying to keep the block on the other side neutral, keep them guessing what we’re gonna play,” Maeder said. “We’re very outside heavy, which can be an issue when facing bigger and better blocks. So one thing that I’ve been trying to work on is risking other sets in middling, bad and good situations and being offensive myself.”

Contact Emily Hamill at 

NOVEMBER 01, 2023