Seattle’s throwback game serves well, Seahawks win 24-20 against Browns

NOVEMBER 01, 2023

The Seattle Seahawks debuted their throwback field and jerseys in their week eight matchup against the Cleveland Browns.

Both teams entered with a 4-2 record, looking to take the edge over the rest of their respective divisions.

In a game that turned out to be a dogfight, the Seahawks were the ones to come out on top. On its way to a 24-20 victory, Seattle moves to 5-2 and now tops the NFC West as the San Francisco 49ers dropped their game to the Cincinnati Bengals.

I am not sure if the new jerseys provided the Seahawks with extra juice, but the team amounted to a last-second victory.

Kenneth Walker III and Zach Charbonnet dominated the run game, averaging 9.15 yards per carry for 119 yards. However, Seattle’s first rushing touchdown wasn’t from either running back but rather from undrafted rookie receiver Jake Bobo.

Bobo has been a pleasant surprise for quarterback Geno Smith and this offense. Bobo, who had recorded his second career receiving touchdown last game, started this game with his first-ever rushing touchdown. Bobo has shown what he can do in the passing game, but his value becomes evident with his blocking ability.

Tyler Lockett led the Seahawks in receiving with eight catches for 81 yards and one touchdown. Lockett continues to be one of the league’s most consistent yet underrated wideouts. He’s ultimately Smith’s safety blanket, finding holes in the defense and making shifty plays.

The Seahawks got out to an early 17-7 lead to end the first quarter, but failing to score in the second left Seattle up just 17-14 at the half.

Though Smith’s offense ended the first half with an interception, the defense continued imposing their will, forcing three turnovers. Jordyn Brooks started the party with a strip sack in the first quarter that led to a Lockett touchdown. Shortly after, Riq Woolen recorded his first interception of this season after having six in his rookie campaign.

Boye Mafe got to Browns’ quarterback, PJ Walker, for his fifth straight game with a sack, tying the Seahawks’ franchise record for most consecutive games with a sack.

However, the defense struggled against the Browns’ run, giving up 155 yards to a three-headed backfield. Pressure got to Walker consistently throughout the game, but quick screen passes would be the turning point.

The inability to adjust to Cleveland’s screen game led to 13 unanswered points. With three quarters down and Seattle being scoreless since the first, the life at Lumen Field seemed to be sucked out.

Smith, for the third straight week, looked out of sync with his receivers. Throwing ill-advised passes and putting the ball in harm’s way left Smith with his sixth interception of the season — already more than half of last year’s total interceptions (11).

It sometimes gets frustrating to watch Seattle play to their opponent’s level. It leaves the game up for grabs but fortunately, it played in the Seahawks’ favor this week.

A literal heads-up play by Jamal Adams late in the fourth quarter, deflecting a pass with his helmet, resulted in a Julian Love interception. This gave Smith and the offense, down three, one last chance to win the game.

On the final drive, Smith found tight end Noah Fant for a 27-yard gain down the sideline. This set up Smith’s touchdown pass to Jaxon Smith-Njigba for what would ultimately be the game-winning score. After a slow start to his rookie season, Smith-Njigba has really found his role in this offense and his confidence is skyrocketing.

Seattle’s path from here doesn’t get any easier as the Baltimore Ravens await for the Seahawks to arrive in town for their week nine matchup. After beating the Cardinals, Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson is now 17-1 against NFC opponents. This could be a true testament to how gritty this Seahawks team is with a win over Baltimore next week.

Contact Eric Hayrapetian at 

NOVEMBER 01, 2023