Battle of beaks: Ravens ground Seahawks’ aerial attack

NOVEMBER 07, 2023

Let’s just start by saying I have no words for the Pop Warner performance that the Seattle Seahawks showcased on national television this past Sunday.

The Seahawks, coming off a thrilling victory over the Cleveland Browns, seemed to be riding high on cloud nine. However, Seattle showed no fight, no urgency and no willingness to win, losing 3-37 to the Baltimore Ravens.

Seattle drops to 5-3, moving the team back to second place in the NFC West, despite the 49ers having a bye week.

Since week four, the Seahawks have showcased one glaring hole: the offense.

Yes, it may be easy to point fingers after a blowout loss, but after four frustrating offensive performances, it’s time to start assessing the blame.

First on the list is offensive coordinator Shane Waldron and his static offensive schemes. It really starts to become concerning when you can’t dial up an effective offense even with the likes of DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Jaxon Smith-Njigba and Kenneth Walker III, not to mention Jake Bobo. Where was he this week? Bobo is coming off back-to-back games with a touchdown but didn’t get to see the field on Sunday. So much for #MoreBobo.

Waldron has also moved away from a 12 personnel offense, which was thriving to begin the season, and has instead handicapped this offense with an 11 personnel group and straight dropbacks. Even with the frustrating schemes, Waldron can only take so much of the blame.

For the first time in his Seahawks career, Geno Smith takes the hot seat. Though many fans are looking to bench him, I’m not completely ready to bail on the quarterback that the Seahawks just paid $75 million for three years. However, Smith has not been what he was last season. To put it lightly, Smith has been a turnover machine. In his last four games, Smith has thrown four touchdowns with six interceptions and two lost fumbles.

This is not the Smith who we knew and loved last season, who made smart decisions with the ball. I think it’s time to start accepting the fact that Smith is just an average game manager. If Smith continues his lackluster production, it might be time to start Drew Lock. Another alternative would be to find a franchise quarterback in this year’s draft.

Looking at the game, the Seahawks could not get anything going. Smith was under duress the entire outing, throwing for only 157 yards on a 46.4% completion rate, while getting sacked four times — not impressive at all.

The defense, which has been the storyline for this team over the past four games, was completely gassed, especially with how well the Ravens dominated the time of possession. Even the addition of Leonard Williams was not enough to stop Baltimore’s rushing attack. The Seahawks allowed 515 total yards, 298 of which came on the ground. Seattle’s run game was quite the opposite, rushing for 28 yards on 15 carries.

Seattle’s defense did force two fumbles, but a punt and fumble by the offense gave the Ravens the ball right back.

As much as the defense struggled to contain Lamar Jackson and company, the issue resided on the other side of the ball. It’s tough to win games when the defense is on the field for 66% of the game while the offense is turning into a three-and-out clinic, managing to score only three points.

The Seahawks are still two games above .500 and one game shouldn’t define them, but the offense needs to be revived, and if there is someone who can do that, it would be Pete Carroll.

Seattle will be back home for its week 10 meeting against the Washington Commanders. The 4-5 Commanders are fresh off of a win against the New England Patriots, but the loss of Chase Young and Montez Sweat coming off the edge should knock some pressure off for Smith and the Seahawks.

Contact Eric Hayrapetian at 

NOVEMBER 07, 2023