Cal transfer Jaylon Tyson to play this season after NCAA grants appeal

NOVEMBER 09, 2023

Jaylon Tyson, who looks to be one of Cal’s top prospects, may finally have the chance to hit the court Friday against Pacific.

The two-time transfer was initially unable to play this season following the NCAA’s denial of his immediate eligibility waiver. Tyson immediately appealed the decision, and after two weeks, the NCAA granted the appeal Thursday.

A now-eligible Tyson will make his Cal debut — perhaps as early as Friday. If his appeal had not been granted, Tyson would be ineligible to play until next season when the Bears head to the ACC.

“We are very thankful that the NCAA has approved Jaylon Tyson’s waiver for immediate eligibility. We are excited that he will be back on the court Friday night playing the game he loves,” said Cal head coach Mark Madsen in a statement.

Tyson largely shaped his argument for eligibility on the actions of former Texas Tech head coach Mark Adams, who Tyson alleges made racially insensitive remarks to him.

Next to Fardaws Aimaq, Tyson was one of the Bears’ highest-rated transfers heading into the 2023-24 season.

“(Tyson is) someone who will get after his teammates and hold them accountable. Jaylon is a tremendous basketball player in terms of instinct, in terms of talent, shooting ability, rebounding,” Madsen said leading up to the season.

If ready, Tyson will share a backcourt with Cal veteran Devin Askew and fellow transfer Jalen Cone on Friday as the Bears look to go 2-0 on the season.

Contact Eric Hayrapetian at 

NOVEMBER 09, 2023