Seattle commands business at home against Washington, wins 29-26

NOVEMBER 14, 2023

After getting embarrassed on the road last week, the Seattle Seahawks got an opportunity to bounce back against the Washington Commanders in week 10.

The Seahawks, who took care of business against the New York Giants earlier in the season, continue to remain perfect against their gauntlet of NFC East teams, winning 29-26 against the Commanders.

If you’re a fan of kickers and special teams, this was the game to watch. Washington’s kicker Joey Slye and Seattle’s kicker Jason Myers were in a shootout the entire way, converting on a combined seven field goals and four extra points, scoring 25 of the 55 total points. More specifically, Myers was a flawless 7/7 on kicks — I don’t think fantasy football users will be complaining about his 21-point performance unless you went against him, like I did.

Not only was Myers responsible for 17 of Seattle’s points, but his game-winning field goal capped off his perfect day, making him my Seahawks’ MVP of week 10.

This season has not been all smiles for the nine-year veteran, as he started the first four weeks with four missed field goals, but has made 11 straight since the week-five bye.

I still suggest that the now 6-3 Seattle Seahawks are slightly in an offensive slump. Yes, Geno Smith looked elite, throwing for 369 yards and two touchdowns on a 66% efficiency, but the part that stood out to me was the zero turnovers. Ball security was a point of emphasis for both Smith and Seattle head coach Pete Carroll, and it was put on display this past Sunday.

In terms of first-half production, nothing was clicking for Seattle outside of Myers. It allowed Brian Robinson to scatter untouched for a 51-yard touchdown on the game’s first drive. Offensively, the Seahawks couldn’t find the endzone for the first 35 minutes of the game.

The team still struggled to remain disciplined, committing eight penalties, and was still horrid on third downs, converting just 4-14. However, Smith was making the right reads, not forcing anything and taking off when necessary.

Smith was nearly unstoppable in the game’s final 52 seconds, hooking up with DK Metcalf twice for what would set up the game-winning field goal for Myers.

It was also the first time this season that the Seahawks’ three-headed receiving core all flourished together. Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Tyler Lockett and Metcalf combined for 19 catches, 243 yards and one touchdown. When this core comes together, they become electric.

Though Seattle’s 489 yards against a crumbling Commanders team may not be an eye-opening stat, no other team — including the Eagles — has put up that many yards against Washington this year.

Shifting the focus to the defense, Boye Mafe continues to be an unsung hero for Seattle, setting a franchise record for seven consecutive games with a sack.

Mafe was not the only Seahawk to reach Washington’s backfield, as newly added Leonard Williams recorded his first sack for the team since being traded. I wish to see more production from Darrell Taylor and Jarran Reed, who have slowed down in recent weeks.

It wouldn’t be my weekly Seahawks column if I didn’t mention Devon Witherspoon, so this last part is dedicated to him.

Witherspoon has thrived at everything Carroll has asked of him. From locking down star receivers on the outside to being physically imposing in the slot, Witherspoon has been more than what I have expected from a 22-year-old rookie. Witherspoon recorded a forced fumble and three pass breakups on Sunday, further solidifying his case for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Witherspoon and the Seahawks will travel to Los Angeles for their second meeting against the Rams. Since their week-one win against Seattle, the Rams have won just two games, sitting at 3-6 ahead of week 11. Nonetheless, the NFC West matchup remains a must-watch for fans and a must-win for the Seahawks.

Contact Eric Hayrapetian at 

NOVEMBER 14, 2023