Thanksgiving desserts – beyond pumpkin pie

WEETJESMAN | CREATIVE COMMONS

NOVEMBER 21, 2023

Thanksgiving, a time for cherished traditions and mouth-watering feasts, often revolves around the iconic pumpkin pie. However, while pumpkin pie has secured its place as a beloved holiday dessert, there’s an entire world of sweet delights beyond this classic. And personally, I am not a fan of pumpkin pie, so this is for my fellow non-pumpkin-pie fans. We will embark on a journey to explore the delectable world of Thanksgiving desserts that go “beyond pumpkin pie.” Join me in this culinary adventure as we discover an array of delectable treats that will elevate your Thanksgiving dessert spread.

Apple cranberry crumb pie

What you’ll need:

• 1 package rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crust 
  • 6 medium cooked apples (about 2 1/4 lbs) sliced 
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice freshly squeezed
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest grated
  • 1 cup cranberries fresh
  • 1 tablespoon butter melted
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • ​¼ cup brown sugar packed
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon ground
  • ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
  • ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (UK Mixed Spice)
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • ½ cup brown sugar packed 
  • ½ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
  • 8 tablespoons butter chilled and cubed

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Let the pie crust stand at room temperature according to package directions. Unroll pie crust into a nine-inch pie plate. Place onto the plate without stretching it. Crimp the edges. Place in the fridge while you prepare the filling and topping.

Filling:

1. After slicing the apples, coat in the fresh-squeezed orange juice. Mix in the cranberries and orange zest, followed by the melted butter. Set aside.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the sugars, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and pie spice.  Sprinkle over the fruit mixture and stir to coat. Set aside.

Topping:

1. Place all of the ingredients into a food processor and mix until it resembles large breadcrumbs (see photo in post).

Assembling:

1. Remove the crust from the refrigerator and fill with the apple mixture.  
  2. Using large handfuls, squeeze the topping together and then crumble onto the fruit filling until all of the topping mixture is used.
  3. Bake for one hour (checking after 30-40 minutes to see if the topping is too brown — if so, cover with foil for the remainder of the bake).
  4. Let cool on a wire rack 45 minutes before serving

Maple chai blondies

What you’ll need:

• 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup apple butter
  • 1 egg 
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped chocolate chunks or pecans

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a 9×13 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
  2. Add 1 ½  sticks (12 tablespoons) butter to a skillet set over medium heat. Allow the butter to brown until it smells toasted, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Pour the brown butter into a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ½ stick (4 tablespoons) of butter. Let cool for 5 minutes. 
  3. To the butter, add the brown sugar, maple syrup, apple butter, egg and vanilla. Beat until creamy. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Fold in chocolate chips and chunks/pecans.
  4. Spread the dough into the prepared dish. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until the edges are just setting and the center is still doughy. Let cool.
  5. To make the glaze. Melt together the butter and maple syrup in a small pot over medium heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
  6. Drizzle the glaze over the bars. Let sit for 5 minutes. Cut into bars, snack, and enjoy!

Pumpkin crisp

What you’ll need:

Crisp Mixture:

• 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold, cubed

Pumpkin Mixture:

• 3 large eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 can pure pumpkin
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt

How to make it: 

1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Lightly spray a 12-inch oven-safe skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

Crisp Mixture:

1. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and pumpkin spice together. Add in the cubed butter and use your hands or a fork to combine. You want the butter to be no larger than pea-sized.
  2. Spread four cups of crisp mixture over the bottom and up the sides of the prepared skillet and press flat. Set the remaining crisp mixture aside.

Pumpkin Mixture:

1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until combined.
  2. Add pumpkin, cream, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and kosher salt. Whisk ingredients together until smooth.
  3. Pour the pumpkin mixture on top of the layer of crisp in the skillet
  4. Sprinkle the remaining crisp mixture over top of the pumpkin.
  5. Bake uncovered at 375 F for 35-45 minutes, or until golden brown.
  6. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookie cake 

What you’ll need:

• 2 ¼ cups (280g) all purpose flour *see notes for GF option
  • ¾ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • ½ tsp ginger
  • ¼ tsp nutmeg
  • ⅛ tsp clove
  • ¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • ½ cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 ¼ cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided

How to make it: 

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F, coat a nine-inch springform pan with nonstick spray, and line the bottom with parchment paper. 
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, using a hand or stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, dark brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Mix in the egg yolk, pumpkin puree and vanilla.
  5. Once smooth, mix in half of the dry ingredients. Once it’s almost combined, mix in the rest. Stop when the dry ingredients are mostly mixed in with a few streaks of flour throughout.
  6. Pour in one cup of chocolate chips and fold to distribute the chocolate chips and mix in that last bit of flour.
  7. Spread into your prepared pan and sprinkle the extra ¼ cup of chocolate chips on top. Lightly press them into the surface.
  8. Bake for 32-37 minutes, or until the center of the cookie cake has a tight jiggle when the pan is nudged.

Pumpkin cheesecake

What you’ll need:

• 1 graham cracker crust (prepared according to recipe in a 9-inch or 10-inch springform pan, not pre-baked). 
  • 24 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature (don’t use spreadable cream cheese)
  • ¾ cup brown sugar packed 
  • ½ cup sugar 
  • ⅓ cup sour cream 
  • 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2 ½ teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 3 large eggs lightly beaten, room temperature preferred

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 F (175 C).
  2. Prepare graham cracker crust in a 9-inch springform but do not bake. Place in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare your cheesecake filling.
  3. In a stand mixer (or in a large bowl with a hand-mixer), beat together softened cream cheese and sugars, scraping down the sides with a spatula occasionally to ensure ingredients are mixed well. Beat on medium-speed about 1-2 minutes, scraping down side occasionally.
  4. Add sour cream and stir well, pausing once to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
  5. Add vanilla extract, pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice and stir until well combined.
  6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until just mixed after each addition (and scraping down the sides after each addition).
  7. Spread cheesecake batter evenly over the prepared crust.  
  8. Transfer to the oven and bake on 350 F for 40 minutes or until the center of cheesecake is set and bounces back to the touch.
  9. Allow pumpkin cheesecake to cool to room temperature and then transfer to the refrigerator and chill for six hours or overnight.
  10. Before serving, prepare your cinnamon whipped cream.

With these recipes, your dessert spread will be “spiced” up in no time. From the comforting warmth of the apple cranberry crumb pie to the rich indulgence of the maple chai blondies, there’s a dessert to satisfy every palate. And for those who still crave a touch of pumpkin, the pumpkin cheesecake offers a creamy and spiced alternative.

Contact Natalie Grover at 

NOVEMBER 21, 2023