How consumer society may be fueling a disconnect with nature

KYLE GARCIA TAKATA | SENIOR STAFF

NOVEMBER 22, 2023

As humans begin to spend less time outdoors, we often find ourselves feeling disconnected from nature. Around 56.6% of the world’s population, amounting to 4.4 billion people, live in cities. By 2050, nearly seven out of ten people will live in cities. As people move from rural to urban areas, they often feel extremely disconnected from nature, with little access to the outdoors. Particularly in the age of high mass consumption, more people are spending time on their screen.

Rarely do we find ourselves leaving the house without our mobile device, as we are so dependent on them for daily activities and communication. For most people working nine to five, they spend considerable amounts of time on their laptops, with little breaks during the day except on weekends.

Spending time in nature has been associated with a long list of health benefits. Some of these include decreased stress, improved attention and reduced risks of psychiatric disorders. Those who spend more time in nature often feel happier and more fulfilled, finding meaning in their lives. Studies by researchers at Rutgers University have found that flowers have immediate and long-term effects on emotional behaviors, mood and even memory.

Researchers from University of Chicago also found that green spaces increase cognitive development and self-control in children. Exposure to nature is linked to improved mental health, leading to positive health benefits such as calmness, joy and creativity. In fact, people who begin to spend more time outdoors are increasingly likely to recycle and purchase food seasonally. Regardless of how much or little time one spends outdoors, the vast benefits are insurmountable. 

Unfortunately, it is hard to disconnect from consumer society when so much of everyone’s daily lives revolve around the use of electronic devices. Aside from spending large amounts of time on screens, it is also hard to find areas to enjoy the natural environment when living in urban environments. Although parks may provide some refuge, they are small in number and do not compare to the true effects of being in complete, undisturbed natural spaces. 

Strategies to incorporate more green spaces in urban areas have been proposed as a potential mechanism to not only provide recreational areas for those living in the region, but to also provide environmental benefits. These may range from improved air quality, the filtering of toxins in water and air and the creation of wildlife habitats. Conversely, such effects can also improve mental health for humans, providing a dual relationship as they live in cleaner cities. 

The UN Sustainable Development Goals aim to bring more green spaces to cities as people continue to transition from rural to urban life. The UN advocates that such green spaces have the capacity to filter short-lived climate pollutants as well as providing social and economic benefits.

Another strategy that can also mimic the potential of green spaces is the use of urban agriculture. Urban agriculture, as the name implies, includes practices that involve the cultivation, processing and distribution of foods in urban areas. First off, urban agriculture can be extremely beneficial in producing food locally, thereby decreasing transportation costs as well as harmful GHG emissions released from transporting food over long distances. Additionally, urban agriculture can filter runoff, provide rainwater catchment and revitalize soil health. 

Although more people are living in urban areas now more than ever before, that does not mean that we should discount the benefits of including more greenery in city life. Whether it be through parks, community gardens or green walkways, there are a plethora of options urban designers can take to integrate nature into urban spaces. 

It is imperative to note that green spaces should be incorporated thoughtfully, as such spaces can tend to exclude certain communities and further existing inequities. If urban designers and city makers can institute such changes throughout cities, not just in certain areas, greater numbers of people can experience the benefits of nature.

As consumer behavior and urban living begin to take over society, it is important that people constantly remind themselves of the importance of getting outside. Whether it be a simple break from being online, a long hike or trip to the beach, there are plenty of ways to disconnect from the online world to improve one’s own physical and mental well-being into the future.

Contact Ashley Carter at 

NOVEMBER 22, 2023