Vegetarian sandwich recommendations in Berkeley

AILEEN PARK | STAFF

NOVEMBER 22, 2023

As a vegetarian, I often find myself struggling to find a good sandwich. There’s only so many veggies you can pile on until you run out of sandwich ideas. When I moved to Berkeley, I was determined to find my “go-to” sandwich shop. After a year of searching for some of Berkeley’s best veggie sandwiches, I’ve successfully found three that I think everyone, vegetarian or not, should try!

“Veggie Sandwich” from Cheese n’ Stuff

If I could have this sandwich every day, I probably would — it’s that good. Located at the Telegraph-Channing shops, Cheese n’ Stuff is close to campus and is the perfect lunch stop when you’re in between classes. You can even Snackpass it if you’re in a real hurry. 

The sandwich comes with feta cheese, avocado, spinach, cucumbers and other “fixings,” such as mustard and pickles. It’s affordable, coming in at roughly $10, and you get a huge portion size for what you pay for. The first time I had it, I was practically stuffed for the rest of the day. I personally recommend getting this with Dutch crunch bread, as it truly provides a nice crunch and doesn’t make your sandwich soggy. 

“Sometimes I’m a Vegetarian” from Ike’s Love & Sandwiches 

If you’re ever in Downtown Berkeley on Shattuck Avenue, head to Ike’s and get its “Sometimes I’m a Vegetarian” sandwich. While it may sound like the ingredients don’t belong on a sandwich — marinated artichoke hearts, mushrooms, pesto, provolone and other fixings — I personally find that Ike’s makes it work. The portion size always leaves me filled, and I usually can get two meals out of this sandwich!

Although I’ve had its sandwiches prior to attending Berkeley, since it’s a chain, it has me frequently coming back, especially since it gives out free caramel apple lollipops with your order! 

“Berkeley Special” from Mezzo

I think Mezzo is a must-try restaurant before anyone graduates. It’s so popular that it usually has a line outside the door during lunch hour. It has several vegetarian sandwich and salad options, and you know your food is fresh since everything is made right in front of you. 

The “Berkeley Special” consists of their homemade hummus and lots of veggies, such as sprouts, lettuce and tomatoes. You can choose from a variety of bread options, but I recommend its jalapeno sourdough one. If you want the best of both worlds and want a vegetarian salad as well, I recommend the “combination” option: half sandwich and half tossed green salad. It’s the perfect stop to make if you’re ever wandering down Telegraph trying to find a place to eat.

Whether you’re vegetarian or simply looking to change up your sandwich order, I find these options to be absolutely worth it! They’re packed with flavor, healthy and affordable — what more could a sandwich lover ask for? 

Contact Sophie Ward at 

NOVEMBER 22, 2023